When 'Zines Were Made of Paper: Kangaroo Tracks

Hi Guys!

I was diggin' through some old stuff the other day and I ran across a couple of copies of Kangaroo Tracks!  What's that, you say?  Well, Hybrid isn't my only editorial gig you know!  Back in the late 1990s, I helped out with a fanzine devoted entirely to kangaroos!  In those days, most of us used our IRL names, so I can't really tell you that much about who started it and why.  But it was a nice production and it had some cool art along with stories and poetry.

Kangaroo Tracks No. 3, Cover by Bem



Kangaroo Tracks was made up entirely of contributions, which were sent via snail-mail to the editor.  The editor then collated everything and printed it all up at the copy shop.  There weren't very many copies made, but even so, you always prayed that you would at least get your money back from sales!  

The work was a giant pain in the butt, I mean labor of love, and so us editors didn't stay with it for very long.  The first editors called it quits after two issues.  I did two more and was working on a third when I realized that I wasn't getting enough contributions to justify the ten-dollar cover price!  Back in 1999, ten bucks was a lot to pay for a bundle of photocopies, so you wanted to make sure that people were getting their money's worth!  It never really worked out and so Kangaroo Tracks came to an end after four issues.

Kangaroo Tracks No. 4, Cover by Gawain


The 'zine is now only a memory and a faint one at that.  You won't find mention of it anywhere on the net except here at Hybrid!  We had some great stuff, though, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of the original contributors are still in the fandom.  If there are any of you 'Roocrew guys still out there, stop by and sign the guestbook!  I'd love to hear from you!


Submission Deadline, Illustration by Andibi



Comments

  1. Whoa, this is great stuff! Both these other artists are very good, this is terrific. I hope you get some bites, we could use these guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those guys are good; the first was aiming toward being a professional comics inker, but I never knew what happened with him. I believe the second artist is now in the medical field of all things!

      Delete
    2. We must find them. Send forth the 'roos and scour the land, but find them. Leave no billabong unsearched!

      Delete
  2. Darn, I missed the deadline again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vote Furbunch!

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Hybrid Menagerie