Kellogg's Funny Jungleland

 Hi Guys!

If you're like me, you've probably wondered where all of those cereal mascots come from!  Well, the answer is simple:  they come from the jungle!  We know that because Kellogg's proved it, way back in 1907.  That was the year after W.K. Kellogg founded the "Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company," which would go on to become one of the first and greatest makers of breakfast cereal!  



 

See, Kellogg needed something to advertise his corn flakes and he needed that something to appeal to the kids!  I don't know if they had market researchers back then, but Kellogg was smart to realize that kids loved anthropomorphic animals!  I mean, there was Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf, Puss in Boots, and a ton of other characters that kids knew from their story books!  

So Kellogg came up with his own book.  And it wasn't just something to look at; it was fully interactive!

 


Open the first page and it starts off like most kid books of that time:  there's some ha-ha pictures and rhymes.  OK, cool!



Next thing you know, it flips open to become a tri-foldWow!  I don't know too many story books like that!  



And get this!  While you're flippin' it open, you see all these movable tabs fly out!  They've got silly costumes printed on 'em so you can change each animal's clothes in a bunch of different ways!  I didn't do the math, but it seems to me that you could stay busy with this thing for hours!  

Boy, that Kellogg was a genius!  And he knew how to turn advertising into a real prize!  Hey, did I mention that Kellogg was the first to give away prizes with cereal boxes?  Turns out this was it!  If you bought two boxes of corn flakes, the store guy would give you a copy of Funny Jungleland.  Pretty good deal if you ask me!   



They're Grrrreat!

*******

Comments

  1. Do you own this? Where on Earth did you hear of this? Never in all my time did I know that Kelloggs did something this cool. Patented 1907, first cereal premium ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on my recent trip to Indiana -- These are pretty common, I paid fifteen bucks for it. But the nice thing about this one is that it's in decent condition -- most of the examples I run across are pretty tattered.

      Delete
    2. Excellent. On the net the ones in good condition are in the 60 dollar range. I have never seen one, yet they were printed into the millions. Kudos!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Hybrid Menagerie

Kamaitachi