Modelling characters for Replication

Modelling Shelagh the Roo: I have been meaning to show my research projects more on this blog~

Based on my research in this topic, I am improving my ability and understanding on how to model a character efficiently and effectively.

Efficiently: The best way of drawing a character and replicating that same character design in multiple iterations, for example in animation or comics, time efficient and

Effectively: The most recognisable features of a character, the identifiable parts that make that character unique and favourable, and how to draw these features in a way that the audience can identify instantly.


(figure 1.)


What is the most recognisable part of a character? Depending on the character design, this would normally be the face, and/or the eyes and mouth. This is the more relative part and as humans we recognise the eyes and mouth the fastest based on research. 



(figure 2.)

In figure 2, this page form the comic shows the protagonist, a replication of her original character reference sheet, but her facial and body features go through a process of caricature. 

They are replicated based on the artists ability to recreate the character in many different ways and angles, it really comes down to the artists experience drawing the character type.






My research continues with more modelling techniques: If there are any opinions on this subject I would like to read your comments in this area. I know practice makes perfect and I am looking into the most effective and efficient areas to do this for a character.

Comments

  1. Nice, very well done. I can really learn from this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sharing knowledge I acquire, this is very difficult though because its basically making a cartoon character as realistic as possible, like for example have you ever seen those realistic painting for Homer Simpson? As scary as they are, that is the area I am trying to improve in.

      Delete
  2. You've definitely done a great job of making Shelagh consistent, appealing, and recognizable as she is. Your style strikes me as being generally linear and flat, with a sketchlike aesthetic, but your inclusion of shading is working out well. The first illustration here shows that it would not take too much effort to render Shelagh with a convincing sense of 3-D modeling. I would suggest that you keep doing what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really difficult, I am even talking to my colleagues that used to study illustration for tips and help because they did 'Live drawing' more than me, also researching the internet for peoples opinions and techniques, but from what I have learned, live drawing is key, meaning lots of nude people posing for drawing, oh gosh.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Hybrid Menagerie

Kamaitachi