Critters












Tom Stazer, Critters #3, Fantographics September 1986









The Ol' Treasure Map Story, Ty Templeton.  Critters #8, January 1987.  This is a Walt Kelly tribute, and very well done at that.






William Van Horn, January 1988


Just the kind of thing I wish for on this site.  
 

I see Watchmen made a splash even among the Anthros.  Critters, #21.  I was clinging to radio towers for dear life when this came out, had you told me then I would be a fan of talking cartoon animals in comics I would have laughed in your face and demanded my share of what you were smoking.


Atmosphere.


Outstanding art.  William Van Horn.


And Captain Jack!


The late, lamented Critters.  50 issues, then in 1990 it fell victim to the overload of black and white talking animal comics aimed at repeating the success of the mutant turtle abomination.  This cover is by Steven Gallaci, a scene from his Birthright story.

Talking animals.  Were they crazy?

Comments

  1. Critters was a very solid magazine, especially for its time. Along with Albedo, it was about the only furry production that got anywhere even close to the mainstream. The mutant turtle thing was, of course, its own phenomenon, driven more by the '80s love of absurd humor than by any real interest in anthropomorphic animals. I'm guessing that even its creators were surprised at how well it did. It certainly spawned a lot of imitations, of which this is perhaps the notable: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/01/pre-teen-dirty-gene-kung-fu-kangaroos-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghastly. I need to run a post on Albedo, it doesn't blow my skirt up. Some of these action furry comics don't really work on the anthro scale, they are just standard characters with tails. Captain Jack is fantastic but it is supposed to be funny and it is. Also, really great art helps a comic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Hybrid Menagerie

Kamaitachi