Hot-Diggity Dogs

 

Hot-Diggity Dogs Magazine Advertisement, June 1949

 

Hi Guys!

From the Hybrid Kitchen comes Elsie the Cow's recipe for Hot-Diggity Dogs!  These dee-licious anthropomorphic hot dogs are made with Borden's Chateau cheese food.  What?  You can't find Chateau at your supermarket?  No surprise there -- it hasn't been made in many moons!  But you could just as easily substitute any soft white cheese, or yellow if you prefer.  I mean, it's hard to go wrong with hot dogs, bacon, and cheese!  

Unless, of course, you're a cow.  But I'm not going to get into that now.  Let's just imagine how good these guys are going to taste once you get 'em off the grill and into those hot-dog buns!

Bon appetit, mes amis!  Until next time!

 


 

*******


Comments

  1. "Psst! Don't tell the kids, but Elmer's in the hot dogs!" They might be wieners, but they're anthropomorphic, too.

    I do remember Borden's Chateau cheese from when I was quite young. It had a texture very much like Kraft's Velveeta, but the half-pound packages were also available with pimentos. A quick scan of the Interwebz turned up no Chateau advertisements later than about 1963. They also offered little screw-top jars of soft cheese also with pimentos (or the white cheddar variety could be had with pineapple bits). My Mom used to buy these too, but with a family of six, they didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? The concept here is disturbing on many different levels...

      Thanks for confirming that Chateau was basically Velveeta. I suspected as much and was going to say so, but I didn't know for sure. What is it with the '50s and pimentos, btw.? They seemed to be in everything...

      Delete
    2. One of my contacts on Flickr is a little older than I am, and she belongs to a "Mid-Century Supper Club." They use recipes from old magazines, ads or family archives to recreate dishes from 'between the end of WWII and the first moon landing'. Pimentos? Jars of them!

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/24635180@N07/albums
      Search for 'Mid-Century'.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! That's great! I once gave a friend of mine a recipe booklet from the '50s as a joke. And darned if she didn't make up a plate of these weird pickle-sailboat things just as they appeared in said book. They weren't half-bad, either!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank'ee good sir! I just came into a pile of Elsie stuff, but I think I should play it out lest this become the "Elsie the Cow" site...

      Delete
    2. Judging from our numbers lately I'd be happy to be the 'Elsie the Cow' site, or any other celebrity talking anthro corporate shill.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Cockroach Union and Waterbugs Protective Association

Ken Fletcher