Jo-Joy

 

Jo-Joy, Christmas 1947

 

Hi Guys!

From the Is It Anthro? Department comes the oddity that is Jo-Joy!  Jo-Joy is a living jack-in-the-box who has all kinds of adventures thanks to his "magic spring."  From 1945 to 1953, he appeared in these promotional comic books put out by the W. T. Grant Department Stores every year around Christmas.   

Once upon a time, Grant's was one of the biggest department store chains in America!  By the end of the Second World War, they had come to rule the lower end of the retail ladder.  Baby Boomers everywhere would have been well familiar with these guys and so it's no surprise that Jo-Joy became something of a hit.  Or at least that's what the advertising in these comics seems to suggest!

 

 


 

 

So you're probably wondering what the actual comics are about.  I've only read a couple, but they seem to follow the same basic book-length plot:  Santa gets into some kind of jam at the North Pole and Jo-Joy has to help out, usually with the assistance of a kid or a talking animal -- or both.  Reminds me of a certain red-nosed reindeer that featured in DC's Christmas comics beginning in 1950.

If you ask me, the most curious thing about Jo-Joy comics are the ads.  Check it out; I mean, is this something that you would put at the top of your list?  





The expression on Santa's face says it all.  This is the kind of thing that your grandmother would buy you for Christmas.  And to add insult to injury, you're supposed to fill out a "behaviour report" to get it!  What's a behaviour report, you ask?  Read on:  

 

 


   


Booties, hankies, bolt fabric -- yes, everything a kid might want -- Not!  The only cool thing on offer is this radio, but unlike the other stuff, it costs a whopping sixteen dollars and fifty cents!  In 1947, that was a little less than half the going rate for a new bike!  





Now I give Grant's full points for coming up with a memorable character as well as some innovative ways to try and push their wares.  But the bottom line is that kids don't want clothes and accessories for Christmas!  At least I think they don't.  If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll gladly print a retraction!  

OK guys, I've been kinda snarky here, so I'd  better get to work on my behaviour report.  See you later!


Jo-Joy, Christmas 1952


 

 *******

Comments

  1. $16.50 would have been a boatload of money for a kid's Christmas present in 1947. At the time, an all-American Five (5-tube AM radio) could be had for as little as $9.95 (https://radiophile.com/plastic.htm)

    And I'm sorry, but this anthropomorphic Jack-in-the-box (and the overwhelming product tie-ins) is a little too creepy. Like, Grandfather of Chucky creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree, and if you look at the dimensions of the Jo-Joy radio, it was tiny. I can't imagine that the sound was any good, although it was probably cute to look at.

      The concept of a living jack-in-the-box *is* creepy. As is the idea of such a character pushing booties and slippers...

      Delete
    2. "I'm recommending this product for feet... I ain't got..."

      Delete
  2. I remember Jo-Joy-the best advertisement for Grant's department stores (scary that I remember Grant's too-my age is catching up with me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've got a year (or ten) on you, but the only place I remembered Jo-Joy from was the sign on the wall over the toy department. And my (even older) brother had to remind me.

      Delete
    2. It was Woolworth's for us -- I'll never forget that weird smell of new clothing and popcorn!

      Delete
  3. Jesus Palomino. What kind of sick ad guys came up with this? I'd send them a behavior report all right, after I used it for an unmentionable purpose. Bastards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! "Dear Santa, my behavior stinks!" Respectfully yours, Billy!

      Delete
    2. That goes double for your mangy little reindeer as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Cockroach Union and Waterbugs Protective Association

Ken Fletcher