Gangrene, The Bunny Mummy


 Easily the saddest comic character ever created, the Bunny Mummy is beyond pitiful.  In the one story I have read he begs a magician for a cure, the guy refuses because the bunny is broke.  I have always felt bad for a creature that must be completely desiccated and still alive.

Gangrene is part of Vaughn Bode's Deadbone, a mountain inhabited by some very strange creatures.  Bode spelled the bunny's name both ways, Gangrene and Gangreen.


Plastic resin kit from Nepenthes Productions, sculpted by Michael Waltz.

 

Can you imagine, that pile of (?) wanted me to give him a free good luck rune!!!
 
 Here is the episode I spoke of.  The little mummy can only say, 'I want, I am, You help'.  At the end he is siting in some glade when a gang of ruffians show up.  This is the best, no, the only reproduction I could find, and I put it in here to show how cold blooded Vaughn Bode could be.  Vaughn specialized in stories of very stupid beings getting what was coming to them, I still think some of those are nightmarish to this day.  Since his own death at the age of 33 was as pointless and unnecessary as it could get I find this foreshadowing in the first degree.
I always feel bad when a writer can save a character from horror and they don't.
 


A lifelong fixation on death.  "River Meat".


Vaughn Bode

July 22, 1941 – July 18, 1975
 

Comments

  1. This is what happens when you take the Underground comics' penchant for philosophy too far... Somehow it ceases to be a comic and yet it's somehow more. It's hard to get this kind of thing out of your head. Give me Bob Kane's Batman any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thrust of the undergrounds was humor. Bode had a thing for very cute anthros with very serious cognitive problems. For such a nutcase he was really into the military side of comic adventures, he did serve, for a bit, in the army. His work could be really funny, like Cheech Wizard, but some of it was just as dark as dark can be. One can see him improving with every new cartoon, the final Cheech cartoons were as professional as Disney. 33 when he died. He cheated us out of a good 35 years of stunning cartoon work. It was always weird seeing such adorable furries and lizards heading pell mell to doom, if you ever get a chance to read 'Sunpot' then it has my highest recommendations. I mean, folly run rampant!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Abandoned Cat (Sute-Neko Tora Chan)

The Hybrid Menagerie

Kamaitachi